Unit STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) coordinators are the unit contact person for all things STEM-related. The specific job responsibilities can be flexible depending on unit needs but typically involve:
- Be knowledgeable about the Nova Awards program
- Promote the Nova Awards program at unit meetings to the Scouts and parents/leaders
- Help Scouts with ideas on how they can earn the Nova and Supernova awards
- Work with leaders (youth and adults) to add fun STEM activities to meetings and outings or STEM moments
- Be aware of all STEM and Nova activities offered by local, regional and national Scouting organizations
- Be aware of STEM programs offered by local non-Scouting partner organizations
- Connect youth with a Nova counselor or Supernova Mentor
- Ensure awards are recorded and presented.
The unit STEM coordinator should learn about the Nova program, or take BSA’s online training. Unit STEM coordinators should be trained as a STEM Nova counselor and preferably as a Supernova mentors.
Packs Troops Crews Ships
Please notify the webmaster of any corrections or changes in leadership.